Saturday, December 15, 2012

The best gift I could give today

I was just at Wal-Mart picking up a few items. As I went into the produce area to get some cucumbers I stumbled upon a “man” who was toe to toe with who appeared to be his son. The apparent father was pointing his finger in the young man’s face saying degrading things to him. Comments like “ That’s the matter with you, you don’t know crap. “ and “ when are you going to start acting 17 instead of like a damn 3 year old?“ The young man just stood there with his head down, not responding at all to his father. Another young man, a few years younger looking than the 17 yr old stood nearby. The man was very loud and caught the eyes of everyone near. Some people went back to what they were doing. Other’s said that was an awful thing to do. I did not know what to do but I wanted to stop it. I do not know what started the situation as I happened upon it but I did know I was going to make sure I influenced how it ended.

I put down my cucumbers and filled with steam followed these people throughout the store. I was enraged and I don’t even know these people. I just knew that the sight of this 17 yr old young man with tears coming down his cheeks in the now bread aisle of Wal-Mart in the midst of this joyous holiday season broke my heart. Especially after the tragic events that enfolded in Connecticut yesterday. In that state there are a vast number of families who would give anything to turn back time and be able to be enjoying this holiday season with their loved once. Instead they face their greatest fears of losing their child. In the wake of yesterday it seems that one’s response would be to hold their cherished children closer not humiliate them in public.

As the young man was crying in the bread aisle, his father again toe to toe and pointing in his face told him “ you want a bad day, well punk, you got a bad day.” I was fearful of this man so I can only imagine the fear of those who had to go home with him. I continued to follow this family, offering smiles and sincere eyes whenever the two boys looked at me. And I am sure my feelings to the father were on my face when he looked at me as well, which was just as frequent as the boys’ glances my way.

The more I followed, the more I was thinking” What am I doing? I don’t know these people. Is this my business? What do I say if anyone of them approach me? “ I did not know the answers to any of those questions. All I knew was that I felt pulled to follow them. I felt pulled to ensure that this man cooled his jets and while I had no clue what I was going to do to ensure that I was going to do what I was feeling in my gut to do. And that was to simply follow them. After the groceries we headed towards clothes, and then hardware. As we went through the store, the comments to his son slowly ceased and the distance between them grew. As we were cutting through the houseware’s department I heard the younger of the two brothers tell the oldest one “ See I told you someone cares about us.” And they both glanced my way, giving me half a smile that made my eyes swell with tears. Without knowing it, I had done what I was needing to do.

All I could do was muster out “ Merry Christmas” as I walked by them. As I was in line paying for all the things I picked up I seen the oldest son by the water fountain. He made eye contact with me and smiled then mouthed the words “ thank you.” He did not need to thank me. I only did what I felt pulled to do. The entire time I was doing so, I felt that it was not enough. I felt like I should do more. In reality I did what was right. I felt good about what I had done. I am sure that the father will continue to treat his sons poorly at times. But I hope that when they need it, those boys remember that people do care. That image of that young man in black jeans, a carharrt coat and a black cowboy hat is one that I will hold with me for a long time.

1 comment:

Luann said...

Love this Bobbi~ This world needs more "Bobbi's~ Xo's