Thursday, October 23, 2008

Awareness

September was national Gynecological Cancer Awareness Month. I knew this because when I went to see my Gynecological Oncologist the waiting room was overfilled with bagels, beverages, pastries, and fruits. It was accompanied by a sign saying that fresh items were going to be available daily all month in honor of those starting their battles, those in the midst of their battles, those who have won their battles, and those who had succumbed to their battles with gynecological cancer.

October is national Breast Cancer Awareness month. A friend of mine, who just completed her treatments for breast cancer, told me that her oncologist's office does the same thing. What nice simple gestures of kindness to give in the moment. In the moment that makes us stop and reflect.

Speaking for myself, I know that when I was first diagnosed I thought of how lucky I was that I listened to my body. I had things going on and I followed my gut even though I was told I had no need to worry. The sooner that cancer is detected, the greater the survival rate. How to prevent this disease and the warning signs are very important pieces of knowledge. Understanding treatment options, staging, and even your specific diagnosis itself are essential. By all means, if you begin having signs or symptoms do not hesitate on following up with a care provider.

I urge everyone to be on top of pre-screenings and preventions. Sometimes, the greatest risk is being in the mindset of "it won't happen to me." Please be in the mindset of "I will be mindful if it has or does happen to me."

Listed below is the website for the American Cancer Society. Please take a moment to look at it. I is an awesome site and it has search options for all forms of cancer. It educates on warning signs, staging, treatment options as related to each form.
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp

A favorite site of mine worth checking out, www.cancerschmancer.org

The following website is one that my sister found for me. Since then, this site had truly helped me so much. It is an online support forum for those who are undergoing or underwent care. It is such a relief to be able to relate to people going through the same thing and to know that you are not alone. It helps knowing that the fluky things that happen during your battles are normal. It has helped me and those I have encountered there greatly. Anyone in need, I encourage you to check it out.

www.hystersisters.com

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: